In this walk-behind stump grinder guide, I’ll be recommending some great models you can choose from.
Stump grinders are of many varieties, some are meant for large scale clearing work, while others are best suited for small domestic work.
What Makes A Good Walk-Behind Stump Grinder?
There are a few things to consider when you’re in the hunt for a walk-behind stump grinder. Remember, you’re the one who’s going to be operating the machine so you’ll be needing good value for money spent.
Here are a few things you should take note of –
Size: A walk-behind stump grinder is not as large as a traditional stump grinder, all the same, you have to be careful of the size you buy or rent.
If it is too large, you won’t be able to maneuver as much as you would like when you push it around. Also, a large-sized walk-behind stump grinder will take up more storage space.
Unless the tree stump you want to grind is large, then you should go for a smaller sized model.
Weight: Weight could be closely related to size, as you would expect a smaller sized grinder to be lighter.
A walk-behind stump grinder has wheels that aid in movement. Nonetheless, if the stump grinder is too heavy, it will be harder to push back and forth when grinding the stump.
Also, you will find it harder to put away after use.
Wheels: The wheels are one of the most important components of a walk-behind stump grinder. This is what allows you to move the grinder with ease.
Be sure the wheels of your stump grinder are sturdy and free, just so you experience better movements to and fro, and around your work site.
The tires should also have strong teeth so they can have a good grip on the floor and not skid uncontrollably during grinding.
Handles: Stump grinding is hard work, and the machine you use should only make the job easier, not harder.
For this reason, the handles on the walk-behind stump grinder have to be comfortable to hold on to for as long as it will take to finish grinding the stump.
Foam or soft rubber padded handles are the best options if you want a comfortable grinding experience.
If the handles on the grinder can fold up, then that would be great. This will make it easy to store, as it would need less space.
Why Walk-Behind Stump Grinders Are A Popular Choice
Walk-behind stump grinders are the most common models you will find, as far as domestic use is concerned anyway. You can easily find them in rental shops and storage houses of many domestic gardeners.
The reason for this is that they are user-friendly and don’t require much expertise to operate. The handlebars on the walk-behind stump grinder also allow the user to move them around with ease.
Their tires are also large and provide a good grip on the ground, which makes the back and forth movement very easy.
To grind, the walk-behind stump grinder requires the user to manually push the grinder back and forth until the stump is gone.
Best Walk-Behind Stump Grinders To Consider
I’d like to recommend some great models of walk-behind stump grinders for you to consider when you rent or buy.
Check these models of walk-behind stump grinders –
Powerking Walk-Behind Stump Grinder
This grinder weighs 396 pounds and it comes equipped with a sharp cutting blade of 12 inches in diameter and 3.5 inches in thickness.
It is ideal for grinding tree stumps of as much as 12 inches in height and 9 inches beneath ground level. With such an impressive stump diameter capacity, you shouldn’t have any problems with your domestic tree stump.
It is powered by a very rugged 14 horsepower Kohler gas engine, and it makes use of its disc drum brakes to pivot during cutting.
The good news is, it is very rugged and it comes with a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- It is ruggedly constructed
- It is very easy to operate
- It is fairly priced when compared to other models
- It is built with safety features
- It has a powerful 14HP gas-powered engine for better working capacity.
- At 396 pounds, it is on the heavy side
- The throttle cable is too long
- It has thin electrical cables
North Star Compact Walk-Behind Stump Grinder
The North Star walk-behind stump grinder is driven by a powerful GX160 Honda motor that makes clearing that nasty stump of yours look like child’s play.
It is a compact grinder, which means you can maneuver through smaller spaces and around the stump. Its compact size also means it is easier to store when not in use.
This walk-behind stump grinder weighs just 135 pounds, so moving it back and forth during the grinding operation will require less effort from the operator.
The dimensions of the cutting wheel are 9 2/3 inches in diameter and 3/8 inches thick.
It is designed with 4 teeth, tipped with carbide material, so chewing through your tree stump is not a problem.
This grinder is suitable for stumps that are 10 inches above ground level and 9 inches beneath.
- It is a long-lasting stump grinder
- The handles are comfortable
- It is lightweight
- It comes with extra accessories
- It is compact so it can easily be stored away
- Very rugged engine
- Easy to operate
- This walk-behind stump grinder is not ideal for large tree stumps
- It generates too much noise
Bluebird Walk-Behind Stump Grinder
This grinder comes fitted with a cyclone air filter inside its GX390 13 horse-power Honda engine. For optimum performance, the engine is built with a 4-cycle OHV system.
The cutting wheel is 14 X 3/8 inches and it has 3 carbide-tipped teeth for effective cutting power.
The NORAM automatic centrifugal clutch ensures that the power supply is steady and fast.
As for weight, well it’s a bit on the heavy side at 341 pounds, but with a cutting depth of 12 inches, you may not mind the extra weight.
- It has a constant supply of power
- It is safe and easy to operate
- The powerful Honda engine and sharp cutting wheel ensures easy grinding
- It weighs 341 pounds, which puts it on the heavy side
- It is quite expensive when compared to other walk-behind stump grinders
- The wheels are too small to manage the size and weight of the grinder itself
15HP Gas Powered Walk-Behind Stump Grinder
If you are looking for a heavyweight walk-behind stump grinder to tackle heavy-duty tasks, then this may be the right choice for you.
It weighs 400 pounds and it is run by a 15 horsepower 420cc gas-powered engine.
The output is very impressive, as it offers the user 3,600 RPM (revolutions per minute) at maximum setting.
It has a recoil starting system that has been upgraded to a drum-braking mechanism. It has a 12-inch cutting wheel equipped with 9 teeth.
The thickness of the cutting wheel is 3.55 inches and it can grind through stumps that are 20.25 inches tall and 9 inches deep into the ground.
The tires are 13 inches thick and they come with very rugged grips that keep the grinder from skidding when in operation.
- It is user-friendly
- The wheels make it easy to move around, despite its weight
- It applies more teeth when grinding
- It is built with durable, high-quality materials that will serve for many years
- It weighs 400 pounds so moving it around can be a problem
- The weight may cause the tires not to last for so long
HOC Walk-Behind Stump Grinder
The drum brake technology of this walk-behind stump grinder helps it come to a halt and keeps it steady when not in use.
It is backed up by a 13 horsepower/389 cc Honda GX390 engine and a solidly welded frame.
It comes with a sturdy tungsten-made carbide blade with 12 sharp teeth that can cut 12 inches deep. In case of an emergency, the quick stop button turns off the grinder instantly for user safety.
The weight is pretty decent, just 254 pounds. While it’s not the lightest in the market, it is still very easy to move around.
This walk-behind stump grinder is powered by gas and it has a well made ergonomic handle which can be adjusted to 4 height levels.
- A quick turn off button in case of an emergency
- It is made of solid materials and it has a strong welded frame
- It has comfortable ergonomic handles that are adjustable
- The tires are very sturdy and steady
- The powerful Honda motor ensures top-level performance for every grinding operation
- The price is on the high side
- It doesn’t have a child-lock safety feature
- It doesn’t work fast on larger stumps
- It has a moderate weight of 254 pounds
Many domestic gardeners opt for walk-behind stump grinders since they are easy to use and are more affordable.
There are several models available, and I hope this article on walk-behind stump grinders has provided sufficient options to choose from.
- 3 Best Stump Grinders For Beginners To Buy
- 4 Best Handheld Stump Grinders To Buy: Review
- How To Use A Stump Grinder
- Stump Grinder Rental Options And Considerations