In this article, I’ll be looking at the best stump grinders for beginners. This will include the best models money can buy.
Cutting a tree down is one part, having the stump removed is another thing.
If you’re going be skipping the option of hiring professionals, and you’ll like to buy or rent a stump grinder for yourself, then keep reading.
Reasons You Should Take Your Stump Out
You may be wondering why it’s necessary to clear out a tree stump, so before I get into my top picks for a stump grinder, I’d like to go you good reasons first.
They are an eyesore: For most people, this reason is enough to take out a stump. As you know, a stump is a part of the tree that has been left after the tree is felled.
It doesn’t look good, and it makes the rest of your beautiful yard look bad.
It is an obstacle: A low cut stump can cause an injury to a person who strikes his or her foot against it. It will also restrict the movement of your lawnmower anytime you want to trim your grass.
Taking it off is the best option.
You can’t plant at the same spot: once the stump remains, then there is no way you can replace the old tree with a new one, as far as that very position is concerned.
You have to take out the stump as well as its roots to create space for a new tree.
Grinding the stump is fast: Besides pulling the stump out with a heavy-duty machine, grinding out the stump is probably the fastest alternative. It will only be a matter of hours before the stump is completely gone.
The stump can be used as mulch: When you grind a stump, the tiny ground up pieces can be scattered all across your garden floor to be used as mulch. Doing this will also stop unwanted weeds from growing on the same spot.
Factors To Consider Before You Buy Or Rent A Stump Grinder
Now that you have good reason to grind out that nasty looking stump, you are good to go. But only after you have considered a few factors.
Remember, you would like to get a stump grinder that will serve you as best as it can.
Also, consider these factors when choosing from this list of stump removal tools –
Weight: The heavier the stump grinder is, the harder it would be to move around. Since you want to grind out the stump yourself, go for one that wouldn’t put too much stress on that delicate back of yours.
Size: This is also a factor you must consider. The bigger the stump grinder, the less you will be able to maneuver.
Handheld stump grinders on the other hand will maneuver better, and it will not take up much storage space.
Ease of operation: Simplicity is the best policy for me. The easier it is to operate your stump grinder, the faster you can get the job done.
Best Stump Grinders Reviewed
Below are my top picks.
My Top Pick: 15HP GAS POWERED WALK-BEHIND STUMP GRINDER
This is one of the best walks behind stump grinders you can find in the market.
This grinder has updated features that make it very easy to use. You don’t need to have the professional experience to use this walk-behind a stump grinder. It has an easy-to-read user manual that will guide you through its operation.
It is very powerful, thanks to its 15 horse powered engine that gives you a great deal of blade rotation per minute. With this walk-behind a stump grinder, you’ll be done with your tree stump in no time!
It runs on gas and it is designed with an advanced recoil system.
Main features and specifications
- It weighs 400 pounds
- It uses a 15 horsepower 420cc engine
- It runs on gas
- It has a maximum output of 3,600 rotations per minute
- It has a Ducar 4-stroke OHV engine
The recoil starting system has been upgraded for maximum efficiency. It uses a drum braking system that is designed with a 12-inch cutting wheel and it has as many as 9 sharp teeth.
The 3.55 inches thick cutting wheel can easily slice through 20 inches wide and 9 inches below tree stumps. It also comes with 13-inch tires for easy movement to and fro the worksite.
- For a machine this powerful, it is very safe and easy to use (even with a lack of professional training)
- Thanks to its 13-inch wheels, it is very easy to get it on and off the worksite
- It comes with 9 sharp teeth that make grinding the tree stump very fast and effective
- It will last a long time, as it is made from very durable materials
- It weighs 400 pounds, that’s about two the weight of an average person. The wheels make it easy to move, but it would have been easier of the grinder weighed less
- The tires may break down of it is used regularly due to the weight
The 15HP Gas Powered Walk-Behind Stump Grinder is a super-powered tool that will get the job done fast. Its tree that the weight is on the heavy side, yet, it remains one of the best stump grinders you can find in the market.
Second Best: POWERKING STUMP GRINDER
You can trust this stump grinder to give your stump the kind of grind it requires, fast and easy. If you are looking for a stump grinder that can handle small domestic tasks, then consider this option.
It is powered a 14 horsepower engine, and even though it is one step lower than the 15 horsepower grinder I chose as my top pick, it is still a powerful and effective machine that’s very simple to operate.
It is ideal for grinding hardwood and softwood alike.
Main features and specifications
- It comes in dimensions of 42 width x 51 diameter x 72 height (in inches)
- It weighs 396 pounds
- 12-inch diameter blades
- It can slice through tree stumps that are as thick as 12 inches tall and 9 inches below the ground
- It is powered by a 14 horsepower Kohler engine
- It is designed with disc drum breaks for perfect pivot grinding
- It is a gas-powered engine
- It comes with a manufacturer’s 3-year warranty
- It is solidly built and would last for a very long time
- It easy to start and operate, thanks to its well-detailed user manual
- It is fairly priced when compared to other models in its class
- It is built with many safety features for your protection
- The motor is very powerful
- It was specifically designed to give you a fast and smooth stump grinding experience
- It weighs a lot at 396 pounds so moving it to and fro the worksite is quite tasking
- Some users have complained that the throttle can is longer than required
The wiring is thin, so it stands a risk of burning out prematurely due to the power of the engine
Worthy Mention: NORTHSTAR COMPACT STUMP GRINDER
If you are looking for a compact but powerful stump grinder that will get the job done quickly, then this is another product you should consider.
The NorthStar 160cc Honda GX160 Engine Compact Stump Grinder is one of the best you can come across in the market. It is easy to operate so it is perfect for domestic use.
This 160cc Honda GX160 Engine Compact Stump Grinder engine chews up wood with ease, thanks to its very powerful motor and extremely sharp blades.
It is designed to maneuver around most tree stump shapes and sizes, so it doesn’t matter the nature of your stump, be rest assured it will be ground to bits by this stump grinder.
Main features and specifications
- It runs on a Honda GX160 engine that can clear out the hardest stumps
- It has a portable design so it is easy to move around
- The compact nature makes it easy to put away after use without consuming much space
- It is very light, it weighs just 135 pounds so moving it easy
- It is designed with a 9 2/3 inches diameter x 3/8 inches cutting wheel
- It has four carbide-tipped teeth for effective grinding
- It can grind a stump that is 10 inches above grade and 9 inches below grade
- The package comes with all the necessary accessories
- Long-lasting structure
- It is very compact
- It cuts at a very high speed
- It is lightweight (just 135 pounds)
- You don’t have to be a professional to operate it
- It is designed mainly for domestic tasks
- It produces too much noise when it’s turned on
There you have it, my top picks!
I hope this stump grinder review has been helpful. If you have any other recommendations for stump grinders, then feel free to share them via the comment section.
Always remember to stay safe when working with heavy-duty tools.
- 4 Best Handheld Stump Grinders To Buy: Review
- 5 Best Walk-Behind Stump Grinder Brands For Sale
- How To Use A Stump Grinder
- Stump Grinder Rental Options And Considerations